Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Love is not rude

The definition of rude is ill-mannered: socially incorrect in behavior.  There are numerous behaviors that we can do that people find offensive in the context of our culture.  It is unloving to purposely behave a these offensive manners.   How often do we hear:  well, the Bible doesn’t say we can’t…. or that we should….   In Romans 9:22, Paul said “to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men that I might by all means save some.”   For instance, it would be rude, or as the KJV puts it unseemly, of me to sit down to a meal of  rice and fish casserole and start grabbing it and sticking it in my mouth using only my fingers, right?   Over the last couple of years we’ve been associated with a family from Bangladesh that does just that because that is what is done in their culture.  You see, that way you can pick the little bones out of the fish before you put it in your mouth.   Now I was taught that you take a napkin and spit the little bones into it.   I can see where that could be considered unseemly to some.  In the context of eating with people from Bangladesh, it would be highly appropriate for me to eat with my fingers.   Love considers those around them and behaves appropriately in that context.    . 

Now, I know what some of you are thinking.   Jesus went against the culture of his time on numerous occasions, didn’t He?  He didn’t even make sure the disciples washed their hands before eating.  That would certainly be unseemly in our society.    What we have to understand, however, is that what Jesus was doing was explicitly disobeying religious laws made up by men and reinforced by the Pharisees.   Laws that they claimed were from God, but in fact were a bondage God never intended for His people.

Jesus grew up in favor with God and man.   Although it could be said that he spoke rudely to the scribes and Pharisees, He was never rude in any way to those who had ears to hear, regardless of their background.   And don’t forget, He knew who was really hearing what He had to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment