Friday, April 15, 2011

Love is not puffed up


Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  Phil 2:5-7


If anyone had a right to proudly display who he is, Jesus did.  According to Strong’s concordance, the word in the Greek means “to boast one's self, a self display, employing rhetorical embellishments in extolling one's self excessively”.   On the contrary, Jesus humbled Himself.     

I don’t know about you, but when I hear someone bragging about themselves, their exploits, who they know, etc.,  I don’t feel much like spreading the word to others about how great this person is.   I usually walk away just shaking my head.  The other effect this can have on us is to make us feel a little less of a person.  I’ve never had or taken the opportunity to do those things, meet those special people, or go to those places.  I’m just not good enough, as capable, as smart, etc.   It certainly doesn’t leave me feeling loved.

On the other side, because Jesus humbled Himself, I am all the more motivated to exalt Him, praise Him, and tell others about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment